After Lacey was born we were in the hospital for a couple of days. I wanted nothing more than to take care of my little girl in the comfort of my own home. I was feeling great the day after I delivered her and was ready to go, but Lacey wasn't keeping any food down and they wanted us to stay so they could keep an eye on her.
After her first feeding she spit up... a lot. The same thing happened with the next couple feedings as well. She had swallowed a bunch of amniotic fluid so she wasn't wanting to eat, and when she did it would just come back up. After the first 24 hours they decided to suction out her stomach, which made all the difference. Scott and I were relieved that she was able to keep down her food after that. Then the doctor told us that we could leave as soon as she pooped. Lacey didn't seem to uncomfortable so they weren't too worried, but they had us stay for a second night just to wait to make sure she could poop on her own. By our third day in the hospital I was SO ready to go home, but the pediatrician still wanted us to wait until she had a bowel movement. I had to be discharged before 3:30 otherwise I would need to call and get approval from my insurance for and extended stay. They discharged me, but told me that Lacey would have to stay. We practically had to beg the nurses to let us go home to wait for her bowel movement. We had an appointment with the pediatrician a couple days later so they decided that we could take her home over the weekend. They taught us how to stimulate a bowel movement incase she started getting fussy because she was uncomfortable (yuck). Scott was super worried about everything and when that happens Google can be your worst nightmare. He was pulling up all sorts of things that could be wrong with Lacey.
Then Sunday morning while Scott was on his way to church she did it! Her parents were so proud (and relieved). It's amazing how quickly you can fall in love with someone, and how quickly you start to worry about them. The first few days were full of new things for all three of us, a lot of waiting, and a lot of worrying. We are so glad to be past that. She's doing great now, and we are so glad that she is healthy and home with us!
i never enjoyed staying in the hospital either. Lacey is beautiful. CONGRATS!!
ReplyDelete